What to do if a tick bites your pet
If you find a tick on your pet, your first priority should be to get it removed.
To remove a tick, follow these steps:
- Wear gloves to avoid any direct skin contact to the tick.
- Ensure your pet is relaxed and sitting quietly.
- Use tweezers to grasp the tick as close to the skin surface as possible.
- Using the tweezers, pull firmly straight upwards to remove the tick. Be sure not to twist the tweezers to avoid leaving any tick mouthparts inside your pet.
- After removing the tick, kill it by placing it in a container with rubbing alcohol.
- Save the tick in a sealed container or plastic bag.
- Go to Manitoba Tick Checker to submit for identification.
- Call us immediately if your pet displays any unusual symptoms such as fever, fatigue, loss of appetite, vomiting, or lameness.